Sunday, January 12, 2014

Mentally Bypass Cravings: The Technique I Use To Remain Smoke-Free

January 15, 2014 marks one year since I had a cigarette. Whether or not I have QUIT is, of course, still to be determined.

This is neither the first time I've quit, nor the longest period of time sans cigarette. But so far it seems to be a great start, and I think I'm on the way to a smoke-free rest of my life. And I know from first hand experience after quitting for eight years once, all it takes is one puff to start right back up again.

After several failed attempts to quit, and an increasing need to do so, I came up with the process, and a mind game that works for me. And I write this article to share those ideas with anyone who may wish to quit smoking and who might find them useful. (I know, there is nothing worse than ex-smoker.)

 I think if it worked for me, then it might very well work for another heavy smoker. And yes that's exactly what I was.

 I grew up in the late 1950s and 60s in the cigarette manufacturing capital of the world, Richmond Virginia. Just about everybody's family's livelihood was somehow either directly or indirectly affected by the cigarette industry. We jokingly said that in Richmond back in the 60s, if you didn't smoke by the time you were 12 you must be a communist.

 My coughing was frequent and could be heard several buildings away. My neighbor and friend nurse Kathy said that she had seen my wardrobe and that I didn't have anything that would go well with an oxygen tank.

 Obviously I needed to quit smoking, but the first step toward me actually doing so was WANTING to do so. That's the biggie! I made a list of reasons to quit and kept it on my cell phone. I don't ever recall referring to it, but I think just writing it down was somewhat therapeutic. I wrote about improved health, feeling better, having more energy, having more money, I wouldn't stink, my clothes wouldn't stink – – whenever I chose to wear them. being here longer with my daughter and granddaughter. That last one did it. I needed to quit. I wanted to quit. I had reasons to quit. What I was missing was a technique that would actually work. I used to work with some out of this world brainiac's, and I asked myself how they might tackle this? I needed data!!! So I would go for an hour or two without a cigarette, and I would actually time my cravings. Any guess how long those cravings lasted? Mine lasted between five and 15 seconds. That was it!?! I was throwing everything away to avid 5 to 15 seconds of discomfort at a whack?! And a couple other things fell into place. I recalled that it was once demonstrated to me that the human brain can only concentrate on one thing for the time. Then I recalled, I think it was on the Dr. Oz Show when he was talking about yoga, he demonstrated deep, cleansing breaths. When I decided to quit, I waited for that first craving. When I felt it coming on, I took three or four deep cleansing breaths and concentrated on the goodness of clean air. When I stopped, the craving was over. I had mentally bypassed the craving. I had many cravings that day and for weeks and months to follow, but that technique worked every single time. I still have cravings about once a day, the technique still works. I started to explain this technique to a neighbor one day who is a heavy smoker and who has emphysema. I said "I'm not trying to be one of those ex-smoke's." At which point he requested that I "try a little harder." LOL So, I am not trying to foist this on anybody. On the other hand it worked so well for me that as a journalist I think I would be remiss if I didn't pass it on. January 15, 2014 marks one year of me being smoke-free. It was all done by a simple technique in a mind game. It worked for me and maybe it can work for others who need and want to quit smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment